walkin'

walkin'

Friday, February 13

grapefruit scalp treatment

I found this one on themotherhuddle.com and the author seemed to be a recent beauty student which made the recipe seem more legit somehow. Basically I was a little wary after my experience with the bananas *yuck*.

The recipe called for coconut oil but I substituted with olive oil. I know these are not the same but I can't quite justify spending six quid on a little pot of gunk; I'm bringing myself around to the idea, but I'm not there yet. ANYWAY here's the recipe that I used:

4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp grapefruit juice (I just squeezed the fruits into the measuring spoon)
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 drops teatree oil

The original method suggests using a brush to apply to the roots before massaging; I'm assuming it's because all of the citrus might sting your hands and dry out the cuticles. Since I used olive oil the consistency was a bit runny and would've taken an AGE to apply with the tiny brush I've got, so I just slipped on some gloves left over from a box of hair colour instead (gasp, yes, I colour my hair at home). I gave my scalp a massage for about two minute, rubbed the mixture into the ends of my hair and clipped it up.


The blog I read said to leave it on for 20 minutes, then wash and condition as usual. I got properly stuck in to a game of Covet Fashion on my Kindle and subsequently left it on for 30. It took a lot of rinsing to get the oil out, and a very vigorous wash, but I didn't need as much conditioner as usual, and now next day my hair is really soft! If you have naturally oily hair, you might want to leave it on for less time or maybe wash twice before conditioning.

This is meant to be a scalp treatment to help clear any product residue and build-up, so keep in mind if you have sensitive skin and maybe try a skin test 24 hours ahead of time to rule out any reactions! If he lets me I might give this a try on my husband's head as he's a committed head-shaver and I think this would make a big difference to his scalp health! I'll let you know if it happens ;)

Leave your feedback or treatment recipes below or on facebook.com/StyleSurround

Enjoy your healthy head! xx

No comments: