walkin'

walkin'

Monday, March 23

City Fashion Profile: London

Being a Canuck abroad, I've  always found it interesting how different fashion can seem in one city to the next. In a world of global fashion trends and international retailers, how does one keep her style original? I've profiled women in different cities on this side of the pond and across it, each with an individual style. Let's see how different fashion really is around the world! To start us off we've got Amanda Lawrence from London. Amanda is a fellow Canadian in the UK and is based in London working for Net-a-porter.

LC: Hi Amanda! Tell us a little about yourself.

AL: Hiya, I'm Amanda, originally from Victoria, BC, which is on a pretty little island on the West Coast of Canada. I work for a major online luxury retailer in the Customer Care department and have done for 4 years.

LC: Which area of London are you in?

AL: I've been in the UK for just over 4 years, and have lived in Blackheath for about 3 1/2 of that. It's a great village in SE, about 25 minutes on the train to Charing Cross and 20 minutes walk to work which is ideal for me!

LC: What is your favorite thing about living in London?

AL: I love that I'm anonymous; I like being a little fish in a big pond! There is amazing food, accessible live music gigs and diversity.
blazer-Topshop
lace top-Glamorous, boob tube- Topshop
trousers- Aritzia
shoes-MiuMiu
cat ring-Nach Bijoux

LC: Where do you like to eat and/or get coffee?

AL: I would eat lobster everyday if I could afford it, so while it is a little splurge I love going to Burger & Lobster for their lobster roll! Yum! Coffee is tricky in London, it's not that great and I am not a Starbucks kind of person...I like the Algerian Coffee Store on Old Compton Street for a solid £1 double espresso...but for people watching Bar Italia on Firth Street, Soho, is fun...I've seen Paloma Faith, Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter perched there.


LC: Ooh I get so starstruck when I see celebs! Do you freak out when you see celebrities, or do you keep your cool?

AL: The only person I lose my cool over is Miles Kane! Haha I saw him at a Father John Misty gig a few weeks ago...I internally lost my cool, text everyone I knew and stalked him for a few minutes until I decided it wasn't worth missing the gig for! But actually I usually just pretend I don't know they're a big deal, haha!
silk top-Aritzia
jeans-Urban Outfitters
boots-ASOS
cat ring- Nach Bijoux
 LC: Tell me about your favorite shop.

AL: Liberty, hands down. I could spend hours looking at the Annina Vogel Jewelley counter alone. It has such a great vibe and style to it.

LC: According too you, where's the best place to go out?

AL: Depends on what you're after. Tiny clubs playing Northern soul, hidden speakeasies, or pubs! I like Soho or some areas East.

LC: Who is your fashion Icon?(alive or dead!)

AL: There are people I admire for always being pulled together and looking impeccable but fun, Gwen Stefani is one of those people. I like the 60s and love to flip through old pictures of Brigitte Bardot, Marianne Faithfull, Peggy Moffat etc.

LC: Did you follow London Fashion Week?

AL: I did! I have to pay attention a little for my work, but it's not something I'm fanatical about. I've worked at LFWend for the last 3 seasons which is always fun to be involved in.
dress-Topshop
coat-Whistles
fur collar-vintage
shoes-Charlotte Olympia
 
LC: What do you get up to at London Fashion Weekend?

AL: I usually work at theoutnet.com stall either selling or educating customers on our brand. It's fun seeing all the bloggers dressed to the nines and being a part of the whole thing.


LC: What are the new season trends you're dying to try?

AL: I'm so happy 60s and 70s styles are so readily available! I've been working my legs and butt all winter so come spring short dresses will be mine!!!

LC: Where do have your hair done?

AL: I get my hair done at Pimps and Pinups in Spitalfields Market.
pimpsandpinups.com

LC: Which magazines/websites/blogs do you follow regularly?

AL: Vogue, Porter and Love magazine are all go-to!
anorak-ASOS
leggings-ADIDAS
bag-Alexander Wang
sunglasses-Gucci
LC: Tell me about your personal style and how it has evolved in recent years?

I like to look sexy and cute everytime I walk out the door...maybe not the two classiest adjectives...but it's the truth! It took me until my late 20s to realize being nearly 6 foot tall with long legs and curves in all the right places is actually a really good thing for me!

My personal style is quite personal, I don't follow or copy anyone consciously. It is rare I'm not in all black. I'm not sad or depressed I just feel the most comfortable in it. Is it ok to call myself a blonde bombshell with a whimsical twist?!
Blonde Bombshell

LC: Uhh, yeah!!

AL: When I was a teenager I wore whatever I wanted and was heavily influenced by grunge and punk...shaved head, purple hair, all my clothes from second hand stores. I think having that much freedom being young has left me with a bit of a "don't care what you think" attitude and confidence towards how I present myself now.

LC: I love that! It's so awesome that fashion has less rules now and it's more about bringing your own brand than it is about wearing them. Tell me about the top 3 pieces in your wardrobe.

AL: My 60s vintage leopard print coat, it's lush! I hemmed it about 5 inches, took off the ugly attached belt and changed the buttons...it's perfect.
dress and bag - Alexander Wang
coat - vintage
boots - Zara

Black skinny jeans from Urban Outfitters, they don't sell the ones I'm in love with in Europe! I get them sent over from the States 2 pairs at a time! They're high waisted, perfectly tight and long enough for me!

Chelsea boots!! They are my absolute fave! A classic leather pair of Chelsea boots work with nearly everything in my wardrobe...don't know what I'd do without them.

LC: What is your guilty pleasure- food or otherwise!

AL: Too many to list!! I am a big fan of mid-century Scandinavian design and recently spent way too much money on a teak cheese plate with hand blown glass dome lids to cover the cheese...it's beautiful.

Amanda's prized cheese plate!

Thanks to Amanda for participating in my little social experiment, and also just for being a unique and gorgeous lady!
Any questions or comments for our lovely Amanda about The Big Smoke or where to pick up mid-century Scandinavian cheese plates? Comment below or on StyleSurround' s FB page www.facebook.com/stylesurround.
Come back for my next profile, Patti Aberhart from one of my favourite cities ever, Bristol! Ta-ta for now! x

1 comment:

Unknown said...

To the person who commented on this post- I was trying to respond and say I agree with you; Amanda's style is real and funky without being pretentious or snobby. BUT I deleted your comment instead. Like an idiot. So, sorry bout that, but please do repost it if you come back! Thank you for taking the time to comment and I promise not to be so clumsy ne t time. xx